As you may know, this year I did my first 10k, and my first half marathon. Heck, my fourth half marathon. If you missed it you can check out the #bedtohalfmarathon video series. I haven’t run much since my last half, which was in June. Now I’m starting to train for my 5th and final half, Rock n Roll Las Vegas in November.
This month in my home I’ve declared it self discipline month. That’s really helping me start to get out there and run again. And it’s helping my daughter focus on useful skills like photography, and reading, since I confiscated her phone. The funny part is hubby has asked when she’s getting her phone back way more times than she has. I think the phone gives some parents a false sense of security, but that’s another topic.
So anyway, I asked in the Facebook group if anyone would like to join this self discipline challenge. Two ladies said yes. Two ladies who are drinking smoothies and juicing and probably have more self discipline than most. So I’ll ask a gain, who wants to join us? Or I should say who NEEDS to join us? How do you know if you need to join us?
- There’s something you want to do but you haven’t been able to make yourself do it. Romans 7:21 -So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
- You keep starting and stopping. I’m guilty of this one, which is why I’m doing this now.
- There are things you don’t like about yourself. You have the power to change it if it’s internal, and quite a bit of it if it’s internal. You just need to strengthen that will power muscle.
- You compare yourself to others and can’t celebrate their successes. The reason you even get a chance to know about their successes is to inspire yourself. The light is shined on them so you can see it and get encouraged. But if you can’t it’s because you know you should be right there with them. You could, if you had the discipline.
- You don’t even try. You pretend you don’t want something that you know you need. Like when Monique tried to get us to think her being obese was a good thing. Then she finally admitted it wasn’t. She gained discipline.
Discipline is love. So the bottom line is we need more self love. When I think of the word discipline I always think of disciple. A disciple follows the teacher. So when you have self discipline, you follow your own teachings, what you determine is right for you. It’s part of what I’ve always called the 3 D’s – Decision, Determination, Discipline. When you have those 3 you can do anything.
So are you in Diva?? Let’s do this! Let me know in the comments what you do to get yourself to do what you want even when you don’t feel like it.