This week I saw a fabulous Janet Jackson starring in a Nutrisystem commercial. I also noticed two or three new J-Hud commercials for Weight Watchers. And of course there’s the bad ass Mariah Carey Jenny Craig spot, where they fail to mention her 7 day a week workout. The point is I’ve noticed a real target on us sistas to get the weight off. It seems someone has noticed that we need to lose some weight, and that same someone has noticed that we have money to spend on ourselves.
I appreciate any good help I can get, and as a registered dietitian, it’s my duty and passion to help others. So I thought I’d compile a short list of the help I know of that’s specifically for black women. I’ve also included a few sites that will support your weight loss efforts. This is my year to not just eat healthy, but to get moving and STAY moving too. If you’ve not done so yet, make the commitment to make this the year to be your physical best too. If you know of other sites that I didn’t list please feel free to add them.
1. Black Girls Run! – If you run or want to run, there may be a running group in your area. On your mark, get set, go!
2. Black Women Do Workout – If you ever felt alone in your efforts, you’ll really appreciate this spot. I’ve never seen so much support and love outside of a church or family reunion.
3. A Black Girls Guide to Weight Loss – I can’t speak on her weight loss plan, but she has an awesome testimony and transformation. Check her out.
4. 200 squats challenge 2012 – Women of Color – The key word is challenge. Go if you dare.
5. The Dream Studio – You’ll need power to make it happen in 2012, and this is where you’ll get it.
6. The AJ Zone – She’s booked up right now, but if you can get in to her zone, it’ll be all good.
7. Rouxbe.com – If you’re serious about cooking this is the place to be. From slicing and dicing to poaching to grilling, you’ll learn every cooking technique you need to prepare your best meals yet. And the recipes are endless – just type in stir fry, or salmon, or whatever. Happy cooking!
8. Beautiful Brown Baby Doll – I found this sista on youtube a while back and love her. This is your one stop shop for a more fabulous you.
9. Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries – Need I say more? This is some yummy help!
10. Soul Food Therapy – Did you think I would forget me? This is your spot for healthy recipes, advice, tips, encouragement, and so on. Why? Because I like you.
I hope this list helps to motivate and support you in your efforts this year. Please let me know how you’re doing – I’d love to cheer you on! In the meantime, I wish you a happy, healthy and slimming 2012!